Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Uncle Vanyzzzzzz

Last night I decided to see another play and chose Uncle Vanya.

Again, I knew nothing about this play, but I LOVE Laura Carmichael in Downton Abbey and enjoyed watching Anna Friel in Pushing Daises (such a good show, but sadly got cancelled after season 2).

I bought my cheap ticket and showed up to the theatre for a 730 showing. Since I knew nothing about the story, it took me awhile to figure out the basic story line, but once I did, the rest of the story was very easy to understand.
However, I did not enjoy this play I am sad to say. I found myself drifting to sleep in my seat. Maybe it was because I had gotten very little sleep the night before, and maybe if I am sitting in a dark, warm room for 3+ hours, I need big theatrics to keep me entertained. Maybe if I was up close I would have stayed more alert? I don't know. It wasn't terrible, but I found Ken Scott, who played Uncle Vanya, to be the only solid performance. There were only about 8 actors in the whole play.

Source

I also found the play to be a bit depressing. I am assuming that is the point of the story, but I didn't know I would be in for such an unhappy story. The romantic in me thought I was going to see a play about some love triangle. silly hopeless romantic. It wasn't sad in a 'I am sitting here crying my eyes out' kind of way, which, is very easy for me to do. It was sad in a 'Wow these people are miserable' sort of way. It made me promise myself to never let my life go that far down the toilet. In the end, Sonya (Carmichael) is just sitting at a desk with her Uncle Vanya, convincing the two of them that even though life is miserable now, it'll be peaceful and happy when they die.

Uh, WHAT?! And another thing I am sad to say, I did not like Carmichael's performance. I almost thought it was...bad? Like she was trying too hard to talk to loudly, and her voice stayed in one high pitch the entire time and it was just a bit uncomfortable. This was so frustrating to me because I find her flawless in Downton Abbey, I love her so much in that show.
Oh well...maybe it just wasn't her best night?
Not sure.

All I know is that if I see one more play while I am here, it has to be some big, crazy musical show.

Anyways-

I hope everyone in America reading this has a fabulous, family-filled Thanksgiving on Thursday and you all enjoy yourselves. I will be sad to not be with my family, but I have my friends here and London to fill the void.

Gobble Gobble

No comments:

Post a Comment